Monday, November 17, 2008

People recycling and more door knocking

So yesterday Brittany and I went up to Lake Stevens and spent half the day getting lost (despite Nadia, her "Russian" GPS nav and our two PDA cell phones). What we were TRYING to do was more ballot rehab (see previous entry) for Mike Hope. We knocked on 12 doors and got 7 not home, 2 wrong addresses, 1 signature, 1 guy that was supposedly sleeping even though we heard him talking from the living room that the auditor didn't like his signature, 1 that didn't vote in this race, 1 that already fixed their signature, and a partridge in a pear tree. Anyway, if Britt hadn't been there it would be have been a total waste of the day.
But as it was, we had a lot of fun getting lost in BEAUTIFUL Lake Stevens (do I hear retirement spot?), making fun of Nadia and sharing our life stories. It was pretty great. So after the election is over, she pretty much doesn't have a job (sorry, Britt, if you're reading this).
HROC, the campaign committee that organizes all the campaigns, hires a couple of people for election year. Then many of them go off to work in the Leg. as legislative assistants or other positions in the Leg., in lobbies (like Washington Farm Bureau, Assoc. of Washington Business, etc.), or other things like that. It's amazing to hear where everyone's come from...often they recycle around.
My boss, for example, worked as an LA before coming into the communications office. Our chief of staff was communications director before my boss. One of my other co-workers worked at two different lobbying organizations before coming to the Leg.
I'm not saying recycling around is a bad thing at all - because it's obvious they are very passionate about the political process and being involved in some capacity! It's good to know there's lots of places I can go from here, if and when I want to move on. For now I'm still in bliss with my job.
In fact, today my boss just told me about a couple new members that I may possibly have. Can't tell until it's official but I'm really excited cause they're both great people that will be so easy to work with.
On another note, one of my members is still losing in his re-election. He's down 63 votes as of Friday.
That's all for now -- more election (and member assignment) updates later.

No comments: