Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thanks so much, bu-bye

After making hundreds of calls in the days leading up to the election, and even after trying to get people to sign their ballots, I've noticed that I now get into a phone rhythm. It goes something like this "hi, this is Sarah, I'm calling because...If you have any questions, call...thanks so much, bu bye." Even when I got off the phone with my dad today I said "bu bye." Agh! I don't normally talk like that! Not that I sound like a robot, but I sound a little too chirpy, you know?

On another note, I was asked this week if I would be on a slate of candidates for the Thurston County Republicans. The guy that's running as chair I worked with on putting up Rossi signs (you know, the awesomely huge ones you saw all over Olympia if you live here). Anywho, he wanted me to run as committeewoman. Basically I would attend board meetings, meet with Republicans at the state level, and so forth. He recruited me because I'm young and he wants to reach out to younger people more. So anyway, I had to think about it, cause it's another time committment, and I don't rush into anything lightly. I talked with a co-worker who had sat on the same board, with a different job, and said it was a lot of work. He's not running again because there was a lot of internal politics I guess (among other reasons). Not what I want to deal with right now. I have enough drama in my life. Now, I can just hear you saying, "Sarah, you're in politics! I thought you loved politics!" But there's politics, and then there's politics. Like there's people passing laws and constituents giving feedback and elections and all that fun stuff. And then there's "you didn't do a good job representing our party- you should have done x,y,z- why didn't you start this earlier?- why are you never at our meetings?" You get the idea. So anyway, the position really appealed to me, cause I'd get connected with a lot of people, and I really want to do more outreach and getting youth involved. In the end (I know, I should have blogged on this earlier), I decided against it. I mean, it's a lot of my time- and with session I just can't committ to anything unless it's between April/May and December. That's just the way my life is. And I also didn't think the position would be the best for me to do what I want to do- getting youth involved in politics and doing on the ground outreach stuff. Plus I get to know many of our state legislators, and work with several of them on a daily basis! I've got the best connections you can have!

I have more news, but this is getting long and I need to get to my Christmas list and prepare for Black Friday shopping.

No comments: