Tuesday, May 25, 2010

doorbelling and JT Wilcox

First off, I just want to say my goal is not to make this blog a platform for promoting candidates (although a shameless link to more info never hurt anybody, right?), but I want to comment on what I learn as I get involved.
In the last few weeks I've been helping out with JT Wilcox's campaign in the Yelm/Roy/Spanaway area. So far I've been doorbelling a couple times. When I first started doorbelling for the Rossi campaign a couple years back, it was pretty daunting. You want me to go up and talk to strangers and bug them in their homes?? But as I just stuck my foot out and tried it, I found I actually enjoyed doorbelling. First, it's good exercise walking around neighborhoods, and that never hurt anyone. Second, half the people aren't even home (or don't answer, and I don't blame them with the society we live in), so often you end up just leaving behind a brochure with some info about the candidate. Third, you get to meet your neighbors and community members! Sometimes they want to talk, and you can talk about issues and leaders. Sometimes they don't want to talk, and you just reflect on how your house isn't that dirty after all, and thank the Lord I don't own any yappy dogs.
Anyway, back to JT Wilcox. Yesterday I joined his team for a weekly update meeting about strategies and tactics and stuff. I've never been in on one of these kinds of meetings, so I don't really have a frame of reference, but wow is this campaign organized! And being who I am, this made me very happy. Organization = harmony in the world. They had bullet points, agendas, plans, detailed maps, and they tracked everything they did and are going to do. I think I could grow to love this campaigning thing :)
On June 10 I'm taking a daylong workshop on how to run a campaign during the State Republican Party Convention. I'm really excited to learn about fundraising, strategies, tips and more. Plus these events are always a good chance to meet more people who know a whole lot more than I do.

No comments: